IN A NUTSHELL:
The movie was directed and written by James Morosini. Kudos to him! As it turns out, this movie is actually based on his personal life experiences with his absentee father. Making this movie had to have been therapeutic for him and his da.
THINGS I LIKED:
- There’s something charming about Patton Oswalt. He does a great job in the movie and is also one of the producers of the film.
- I really liked James Morosini and Claudia Sulewski together.
- Lil Rel Howery has been showing up in all kinds of movies lately. Good for him.
- The film illustrates complicated relationships very well.
THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE:
- I had a hard time really liking and rooting for the dad because of the type of dad he was shown to be at the very beginning of the movie. He caused 100% of his own problems and proceeded to make them even worse.
- There are some cringe moments for sure.
- There are some equally cringe-singing moments.
- You have to sit through a lot of “ick” to get to the “aww” moment.
TIPS FOR PARENTS:
- Profanity and F-bombs
- Super crude conversations
- Super sexually-charged scenes
- Two men kiss
- Phone sex
- Father-son relationship
- Dysfunctional relationships
- Social media
You can see the full review on the Movie Review Mom YouTube channel.